Join us on

20.04.2012 10:47

Number of Satellite Users Exceeds those of Cable and Land Broadcasting

Maia Tsiklauri
Digital Broadcasting

Satellite Operator Company SES monitoring (Satellite Monitor 2011) has shown that satellite is become Europe’s leading television infrastructure.  By number of users it has exceeded land (signal received by antenna) and cable broadcasting. 

The results are based on the monitoring conducted in 35 countries of Europe and North Africa.  Over 62 thousand interviews have been conducted during the monitoring by the market’s leading research institutions by supervision from TNS Infratest.  As the first first DTH (direct-to-home) satellite platform has been introduced in Georgia by Magtisat the SES plans to include Georgia also in the next year’s Satellite Monitor. 

Satellite Monitor 2011 shows that in Europe 84 million households use the satellites as the main means of receiving television signal.  The given figure has increased by 22% during last four years.  During the same period the quantity of users of land television has decreased by almost 16 million and of cable television by 2 million.  IPTV system, which provides television signal via IP network has increased insignificantly and stands at approximately 16 million households. 

186 million households use digital broadcasting in Europe; 97% of them (81,4 million people) have digital satellite television; the remaining 3% of users watch analogue satellite broadcasting. 

69 million households in Europe have cable broadcasting; 47% comes on digital broadcasting and 53% on analogue signal. 

79 million households receive television signal by antenna; 70% - digital broadcasting (55,6 million) and analogue – 30%. 

IPTV subscribers are 16 million households.  All of the subscribers use digital broadcasting. 

In 2011 satellite market significantly increased in Great Britain, Germany, Ukraine, Poland and Italy.  The increase was reasoned by the development of digital receiving and HD quality.  

“The given success shows that satellite broadcasting is the most attractive form of watching TV,” Norbert Holzley, SES Commercial Director in Europe said in London.  According to him, the given tendency started in Germany where the number of satellite users exceeded cable subscribers the first time.  The tendency continued in Great Britain and throughout Europe. 

“Diversity of channels, quality of programs, wide coverage is the argument why people prefer satellite.  This allows us to compete with other networks and unify our efforts with DSL and Internet receiving.  This combination will be the best option for TV-audience throughout the world,” Norbert Holzley stressed. 

SES is a satellite broadcasting operator of 50 geo-stationary satellites.  It owns and operates ASTRA satellites.  The Company provides satellite communication services to TV-broadcasters, Internet providers, mobile and fixed telephone operators, business and State organizations worldwide. 

SES transmits over 1,200 HD channels throughout the world.  Its group of satellites consists of 50 satellites and covers over 258 million households.  

Competitions

Archive

Jobs

Archive

Trainings

Archive

This project is suplied by

Website Security Test