In modern world that is based on profitable brands and popular brands, it is getting harder and harder to implement cultural-educational projects. Low quality, so called “fast-use art” is spread like weeds. Post-soviet and developing countries have trouble in balancing this with quality product, but as long as scientific and artistic values have been and still remain as figures defining civilization. Certain countries already pay great attention to cultural politics.
27 May 2013 Georgian Ministry of Culture and Protection of Monuments and non-commercial legal person Classical Music Support Association signed the Memorandum of Cooperation, according to which, for adequate functioning of classical music radio Musa, per agreement with government of Georgia, the Ministry insures founding of a legal person of public law; (Article 2.2.a.)
In return the Association hands over to the legal person of public law founded by government the material-technical means necessary for the radio functioning (Article 2.2.b.)
Later it appeared that according to Georgian legislation a Ministry (it turned out that) does not have the right to own a broadcaster and its representatives of Radio Muse clarify that “we are in legal deadlock.” By given gesture Ministry of Culture and Protection of Monuments of Georgia was removed of liabilities taken under the Memorandum.
4 January 2014, the only classical music radio-station Muse in Trans-Caucasus suspended operation due to lack of funds; for 6 years it aired in Tbilisi and 10 regions of the country and throughout the world via satellite and Internet.
24-hour broadcasting served only creative and scientific interests. It covered all the field of academic arts. The radio satisfied international standards both by means of technical and intellectual basis. It was associated member of the European Broadcasters Union (EBU). (All important cultural events were operatively reflected in the EBU database and involved in international cultural dialogue.) The radio cooperated with all academic theatres, ensembles and Festivals operating in the country. It provided competent support to important cultural events; created modern, international standard audio-archive. Radio airtime was provided to celebrated and recognized artists and scientists. The radio significantly contributed to development of cultural journalism as of a field. Broadcasting was characterized with growing rating.
Its uniqueness in Trans-Caucasus is prestigious for the country and the existing incontrovertible statistics shows that the public importance coefficient of the radio is far higher than material resources necessary for its adequate operation. We believe it is a national project!
Radio Muse stop of broadcasting means:
1. Stop of broadcasting of classical music in Georgia;
2. The space which plays classical music 24 hours will vanish;
3. None of academic music concerts will be recorded, which was before done free-of-charge by Muse at high technological level and according to international standards;
4. When recording and broadcasting concerts televisions do not receive adequate quality audio signal, which was before done free-of-charge by Radio Muse. (For example French TV-Channel MEZZO implemented its first project in Georgia by means of technical base of Muse);
5. European Broadcasters Union (www.ebu.ch) does not receive audio-recordings of concerts underway in Georgia, which hampers international popularization of musical achievements of our country;
6. Current festival and concert audio materials (Golden Fund of the Future) are not reflected in the musical history of the country;
7. Studio-recording of chamber and symphonic music at adequate level is not conducted;
8. Regions of the country will not have access of classical music which is already a deficit in the country;
9. Important ties between academic-concert and festival life underway with the country and the wide society (for example: live broadcasts, modern concert life weekly view and etc. will be suspended;
10. Georgian listeners will be seized of possibility partake following directions: opera (full performance with presentation of libretto in Georgian language), baroque music (with historic aspects), modern and newest music (competent and comprehensive analysis);
11. Beginner musicians will not have possibility to partake professional music in best performance;
12. Academic fields of art (music, theatre, painting) will not have any more one of the most important broadcasting spaces;
13. Series of educational-informative projects implemented by celebrated professors and music scientists will be suspended, which was based on Radio Muse cycle of programs;
14. Important source of sacred (national, world) and folklore music support will be stopped;
15. Research, identification and popularization of works by Georgian artists and public persons forgotten due to different circumstances and left without attention will be sopped, as there is no such other format in media;
16. Georgian composers will be seized of the source of receiving author’s fees, as Radio Muse conducted the given activity from the first day of founding, based on Copyright and Related Rights Law;
17. Unprecedented, original content radio broadcaster will vanish.
General Manager at Radio "Muza"