Hub Manager, Journalist Security Network
International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX)
Position Title: Hub Manager, Journalist Security Network
Program: Regional Journalist Security Network Program
Division: Media, Technology and Civil Society
Reports To: Program Director
Position Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Position duration: 11 months
Applicant Requirements: Citizen of Georgia, English and Russian language proficiency
Application deadline: June 7, 2013
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing leadership and innovative programs to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, and foster pluralistic civil society development.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of $50 million and a staff of over 400 professionals worldwide. IREX and its partner IREX Europe deliver crosscutting programs and consulting expertise in more than 50 countries.
The Regional Journalist Security Network Program seeks to enable journalists working in difficult environments to continue to do so as safely and securely as possible. This objective will be accomplished through the establishment of three regional security training hubs for journalists – El Salvador for Latin America, Kenya for Africa, and Georgia for Eurasia.
Summary of Position:
The Hub Manager will be responsible for overseeing activities that include: awareness-raising of the hubs’ available resources, managing the 24/7 “hotline”, coordinating the regional Journalist Security Advisory Board leading the Hub’s contingency planning and emergency responses, leading training in contingency planning and emotional self-care for which the individual would be trained, identifying participants for workshops, and coordinating the workshops with trainers. This position is open to Georgian nationals.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Description of Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and direction for implementation of the program, ensuring all programmatic objectives are met;
- Identify individuals and media managers for training and coordinate the delivery of workshops and advising;
- Lead formation of a Regional Security Advisory Network, which will publicize the Journalist Security Resource Hub, identify journalists and media outlets in need of security training, help to assist journalists who come under threat, create channels to government where possible and contribute to linking the program with regional and international media freedom groups, human rights defenders and multilateral organizations;
- In coordination with the Project Director, Senior Security Advisor and Master Trainers assemble components for a regionally tailored curriculum in physical security, digital safety and emotional self-care;
- Be prepared to receive training to lead two aspects of the curriculum: contingency planning and emergency response protocols for the regional Network and Hub;
- Conduct ongoing monitoring and evaluation of trainings and materials to address any deficiencies and identify trainings to be added in order to monitor training quality and implementation;
- Supervise Hub Coordinator and Digital Security and Physical Security Trainers;
- Manage project locally; coordinate with Program Director and headquarters office;
- Oversee financial and administrative management of the program, ensuring budget discipline.
- University degree preferred
- At least five years of proven program management or leadership experience
- Background in journalism, human rights, or in another relevant field
- Familiarity with the media landscape in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus, including the challenges and risks local journalists face
- Experience in international media development preferred
- Ability to efficiently plan, schedule, direct, supervise and review performance
- Excellent written and spoken English and Russian
- High degree of computer literacy
- Interest in developing program related emotional self-care tools and emotional maturity self- a plus
Applicants should apply through the IREX website - http://careers.irex.org/OpeningDetail.aspx?key=1abddf2d-ad77-4c85-91af-72b5ccc19657&id=6155f723-51df-4061-a6ae-5d9969422794