JOB OPPORTUNITY/ International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX)
Position: Media for Transparent and Accountable Governance (M-TAG), Media Content Analysis Coder
Term: On contract (can work from home)
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing leadership and innovative programs to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, and foster pluralistic civil society development.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of $60 million and a staff of 500 professionals worldwide. IREX and its partner IREX Europe deliver cross-cutting programs and consulting expertise in more than 100 countries.
Summary of Program
The goal of the Media for Transparent and Accountable Governance (M-TAG), funded by USAID, is to improve the public’s access to independent, reliable, and balanced information relevant to Georgia’s good governance. The program will work with journalists to improve accurate and ethical reporting on public interest issues and support regional media outlets to improve financial viability and transparency.
Summary of Position:
Under the supervision of the M&E specialist, the Media Content Analysis Coder is responsible for the systematic review and assessment of selected media stories according to pre-defined criteria of interest. Prior experience and familiarity with content analysis techniques is an advantage. The candidate should have a general understanding of basic professional standards in journalism as well as ability to spot differences in technical quality of media products.
Two coders will be recruited; the level of effort for each coder is 24 weeks per year. Coders will be paid USD 120 gross per week. Coders will go through specialized training to familiarize themselves with the standardized methodology for media products assessment.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Read, watch or listen to selected media products.
- Make an assessment of pre-defined characteristics of media products in compliance with M-TAG methodology.
- Participate in the review of analysis results and suggest improvements.
- Other related tasks as needed.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in journalism;
- Familiarity with social science methodologies and qualitative analysis;
- Demonstrated familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- University degree or student in journalism or a related field;
- Familiarity with Georgian media landscape will be an advantage;
- Self-motivated and result oriented;
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to IREX/Georgia at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 6:00 pm. Please indicate name of vacancy in a subject line.